Welcome to The 5th Colchester Scout Group

The 5th Colchester Scout Group is a member of Colchester Estuary District, formally Colchester East District, in the county of Essex. Currently the Group has Beaver Scout and Cub Scout sections and is looking to reinstate its Scout section in the near future.

The Group is very active and all members are proud to wear the Group colours of Sky Blue and Scarlet.

All our Sections meet in our own headquarters which can be found at the rear of the Health Clinic in Queen Elizabeth Way, Colchester, Essex CO2 8LT (see map).

The title 5th Colchester was originally allocated to the Troop and Cub Pack situated at St. Botolph's Church. The present 5th Colchester Group was first registered under the leadership of John Arnott in 1936, and was formed as a detachment of the 33rd Colchester. In the early 80's the 33rd merged with and became the 5th.

The Group's original headquarters was a timber unit based behind the clinic in Queen Elizabeth Way, a headquarters that was purchased and erected by the Group Council of the 33rd and opened in 1965.

 

In  1986  a Beaver Colony was formed which gave the opportunity to younger people to join the Scout movement. In 1993, the Group celebrated 30 years since it's first registration and a commemorative badge was designed following a competition open to all the then current Group members, which was worn throughout the year.   

In 2007, the Group had a handsome new brick built HQ (courtesy of a grant from Colchester Borough Council) that replaced the old timber structure that suffered much vandalism.m.